• Imposing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of imposing the columns of a page, or the pages of a sheet. See Impose, v. t., 4.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Impose
- (a.) Laying as a duty; enjoining.
- (a.) Adapted to impress forcibly; impressive; commanding; as, an imposing air; an imposing spectacle.
- (a.) Deceiving; deluding; misleading.
• Impose Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A command; injunction.
- (v. i.) To practice trick or deception.
- (v. t.) To arrange in proper order on a table of stone or metal and lock up in a chase for printing; -- said of columns or pages of type, forms, etc.
- (v. t.) To lay as a charge, burden, tax, duty, obligation, command, penalty, etc.; to enjoin; to levy; to inflict; as, to impose a toll or tribute.
- (v. t.) To lay on, as the hands, in the religious rites of confirmation and ordination.
- (v. t.) To lay on; to set or place; to put; to deposit.
• Imposingness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality of being imposing.
• Imposingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In an imposing manner.