• Impression Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Influence or effect on the senses or the intellect hence, interest, concern.
- (n.) A print on paper from a wood block, metal plate, or the like.
- (n.) In painting, the first coat of color, as the priming in house painting and the like.
- (n.) That which impresses, or exercises an effect, action, or agency; appearance; phenomenon.
- (n.) An indistinct notion, remembrance, or belief.
- (n.) Impressiveness; emphasis of delivery.
- (n.) The pressure of the type on the paper, or the result of such pressure, as regards its appearance; as, a heavy impression; a clear, or a poor, impression; also, a single copy as the result of printing, or the whole edition printed at a given time.
- (n.) That which is impressed; stamp; mark; indentation; sensible result of an influence exerted from without.
- (n.) The act of impressing, or the state of being impressed; the communication of a stamp, mold, style, or character, by external force or by influence.
• Impressionism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The theory or method of suggesting an effect or impression without elaboration of the details; -- a disignation of a recent fashion in painting and etching.