• Impulse Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of impelling, or driving onward with sudden force; impulsion; especially, force so communicated as to produced motion suddenly, or immediately.
- (v. t.) To impel; to incite.
- (n.) The action of a force during a very small interval of time; the effect of such action; as, the impulse of a sudden blow upon a hard elastic body.
- (n.) A mental force which simply and directly urges to action; hasty inclination; sudden motive; momentary or transient influence of appetite or passion; propension; incitement; as, a man of good impulses; passion often gives a violent impulse to the will.
- (n.) The effect of an impelling force; motion produced by a sudden or momentary force.