• Indulge Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) to give free course to; to give ones self up to; as, to indulge sloth, pride, selfishness, or inclinations;
- (v. t.) To grant as by favor; to bestow in concession, or in compliance with a wish or request.
- (v. i.) To indulge ones self; to gratify ones tastes or desires; esp., to give ones self up (to); to practice a forbidden or questionable act without restraint; -- followed by in, but formerly, also, by to.
- (v. t.) to yield to the desire of; to gratify by compliance; to humor; to withhold restraint from; as, to indulge children in their caprices or willfulness; to indulge ones self with a rest or in pleasure.
- (v. t.) To be complacent toward; to give way to; not to oppose or restrain
• Indulgence Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To grant an indulgence to.
- (n.) Remission of the temporal punishment due to sins, after the guilt of sin has been remitted by sincere repentance; absolution from the censures and public penances of the church. It is a payment of the debt of justice to God by the application of the merits of Christ and his saints to the contrite soul through the church. It is therefore believed to diminish or destroy for sins the punishment of purgatory.
- (n.) The act of indulging or humoring; the quality of being indulgent; forbearance of restrain or control.
- (n.) An indulgent act; favor granted; gratification.
• Indulgency Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Indulgence.