• Inherit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To take or hold a possession, property, estate, or rights by inheritance.
- (v. t.) To put in possession of.
- (v. t.) To receive or take by birth; to have by nature; to derive or acquire from ancestors, as mental or physical qualities; as, he inherits a strong constitution, a tendency to disease, etc.
- (v. t.) To take by descent from an ancestor; to take by inheritance; to take as heir on the death of an ancestor or other person to whose estate one succeeds; to receive as a right or title descendible by law from an ancestor at his decease; as, the heir inherits the land or real estate of his father; the eldest son of a nobleman inherits his fathers title; the eldest son of a king inherits the crown.
- (v. t.) To come into possession of; to possess; to own; to enjoy as a possession.
• Inheritance Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or state of inheriting; as, the inheritance of an estate; the inheritance of mental or physical qualities.
- (n.) That which is or may be inherited; that which is derived by an heir from an ancestor or other person; a heritage; a possession which passes by descent.
- (n.) Possession; ownership; acquisition.
- (n.) A permanent or valuable possession or blessing, esp. one received by gift or without purchase; a benefaction.
- (n.) Transmission and reception by animal or plant generation.
- (n.) A perpetual or continuing right which a man and his heirs have to an estate; an estate which a man has by descent as heir to another, or which he may transmit to another as his heir; an estate derived from an ancestor to an heir in course of law.
• Inheritrix Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Same as Inheritress.