• Instrument Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A contrivance or implement, by which musical sounds are produced; as, a musical instrument.
- (v. t.) To perform upon an instrument; to prepare for an instrument; as, a sonata instrumented for orchestra.
- (n.) That by means of which any work is performed, or result is effected; a tool; a utensil; an implement; as, the instruments of a mechanic; astronomical instruments.
- (n.) A writing, as the means of giving formal expression to some act; a writing expressive of some act, contract, process, as a deed, contract, writ, etc.
- (n.) One who, or that which, is made a means, or is caused to serve a purpose; a medium, means, or agent.
• Instrumentary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Instrumental.
• Instrumentalist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who plays upon an instrument of music, as distinguished from a vocalist.