• Ivory Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any carving executed in ivory.
- (n.) The tusks themselves of the elephant, etc.
- (n.) The hard, white, opaque, fine-grained substance constituting the tusks of the elephant. It is a variety of dentine, characterized by the minuteness and close arrangement of the tubes, as also by their double flexure. It is used in manufacturing articles of ornament or utility.
- (n.) Teeth; as, to show ones ivories.
• Ivory-bill Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A large, handsome, North American woodpecker (Campephilus principalis), having a large, sharp, ivory-colored beak. Its general color is glossy black, with white secondaries, and a white dorsal stripe. The male has a large, scarlet crest. It is now rare, and found only in the Gulf States.
• Ivorytype Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A picture produced by superposing a very light print, rendered translucent by varnish, and tinted upon the back, upon a stronger print, so as to give the effect of a photograph in natural colors; -- called also hellenotype.