• Jam Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An injury caused by jamming.
- (v. t.) To press into a close or tight position; to crowd; to squeeze; to wedge in.
- (v. t.) To crush or bruise; as, to jam a finger in the crack of a door.
- (n.) See Jamb.
- (n.) A preserve of fruit boiled with sugar and water; as, raspberry jam; currant jam; grape jam.
- (v. t.) To bring (a vessel) so close to the wind that half her upper sails are laid aback.
- (n.) A mass of people or objects crowded together; also, the pressure from a crowd; a crush; as, a jam in a street; a jam of logs in a river.
- (n.) A kind of frock for children.
• Jamb Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The vertical side of any opening, as a door or fireplace; hence, less properly, any narrow vertical surface of wall, as the of a chimney-breast or of a pier, as distinguished from its face.
- (v. t.) See Jam, v. t.
- (n.) Any thick mass of rock which prevents miners from following the lode or vein.
• Jamacina Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Jamaicine.