• Jaw Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the bones, usually bearing teeth, which form the framework of the mouth.
- (n.) One of a pair of opposing parts which are movable towards or from each other, for grasping or crushing anything between them, as, the jaws of a vise, or the jaws of a stone-crushing machine.
- (n.) Hence, also, the bone itself with the teeth and covering.
- (n.) A notch or opening.
- (n.) A notched or forked part, adapted for holding an object in place; as, the jaw of a railway-car pedestal. See Axle guard.
- (v. i.) To scold; to clamor.
- (n.) Impudent or abusive talk.
- (n.) Fig.: Anything resembling the jaw of an animal in form or action; esp., pl., the mouth or way of entrance; as, the jaws of a pass; the jaws of darkness; the jaws of death.
- (v. t.) To assail or abuse by scolding.
- (n.) In the plural, the mouth.
- (n.) The inner end of a boom or gaff, hollowed in a half circle so as to move freely on a mast.
• Jawing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Jaw
- (n.) Scolding; clamorous or abusive talk.