• Jibing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Jibe
• Jib Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To move restively backward or sidewise, -- said of a horse; to balk.
- (v. i.) A triangular sail set upon a stay or halyard extending from the foremast or fore-topmast to the bowsprit or the jib boom. Large vessels often carry several jibe; as, inner jib; outer jib; flying jib; etc.
- (v. i.) The projecting arm of a crane, from which the load is suspended.
- (n.) One that jibs, or balks; a jibber.
- () Alt. of Jibb
- (n.) A stationary condition; a standstill.
• Jibe Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To change a ships course so as to cause a shifting of the boom. See Jibe, v. t., and Gybe.
- (v. t.) To agree; to harmonize.
- (v. i.) To shift, as the boom of a fore-and-aft sail, from one side of a vessel to the other when the wind is aft or on the quarter. See Gybe.