• Job Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A piece of chance or occasional work; any definite work undertaken in gross for a fixed price; as, he did the job for a thousand dollars.
- (v. t.) To do or cause to be done by separate portions or lots; to sublet (work); as, to job a contract.
- (v. t.) To thrust in, as a pointed instrument.
- (v. i.) To carry on the business of a jobber in merchandise or stocks.
- (v. t.) To strike or stab with a pointed instrument.
- (n.) Any affair or event which affects one, whether fortunately or unfortunately.
- (n.) The hero of the book of that name in the Old Testament; the typical patient man.
- (n.) A situation or opportunity of work; as, he lost his job.
- (n.) A sudden thrust or stab; a jab.
- (v. i.) To do chance work for hire; to work by the piece; to do petty work.
- (v. i.) To seek private gain under pretense of public service; to turn public matters to private advantage.
- (n.) A public transaction done for private profit; something performed ostensibly as a part of official duty, but really for private gain; a corrupt official business.
- (v. t.) To buy and sell, as a broker; to purchase of importers or manufacturers for the purpose of selling to retailers; as, to job goods.
- (v. t.) To hire or let by the job or for a period of service; as, to job a carriage.
• Jobbery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or practice of jobbing.
- (n.) Underhand management; official corruption; as, municipal jobbery.
• Jobbernowl Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A blockhead.