• Joint Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To separate the joints; of; to divide at the joint or joints; to disjoint; to cut up into joints, as meat.
- (a.) Involving the united activity of two or more; done or produced by two or more working together.
- (v. t.) To unite by a joint or joints; to fit together; to prepare so as to fit together; as, to joint boards.
- (n.) Any one of the large pieces of meat, as cut into portions by the butcher for roasting.
- (a.) Joined; united; combined; concerted; as joint action.
- (v. i.) To fit as if by joints; to coalesce as joints do; as, the stones joint, neatly.
- (a.) Shared by, or affecting two or more; held in common; as, joint property; a joint bond.
- (v. t.) To join; to connect; to unite; to combine.
- (n.) A plane of fracture, or divisional plane, of a rock transverse to the stratification.
- (n.) The means whereby the meeting surfaces of pieces in a structure are secured together.
- (n.) The part or space included between two joints, knots, nodes, or articulations; as, a joint of cane or of a grass stem; a joint of the leg.
- (v. t.) To provide with a joint or joints; to articulate.
- (n.) The place or part where two things or parts are joined or united; the union of two or more smooth or even surfaces admitting of a close-fitting or junction; junction as, a joint between two pieces of timber; a joint in a pipe.
- (n.) The space between the adjacent surfaces of two bodies joined and held together, as by means of cement, mortar, etc.; as, a thin joint.
- (n.) A joining of two things or parts so as to admit of motion; an articulation, whether movable or not; a hinge; as, the knee joint; a node or joint of a stem; a ball and socket joint. See Articulation.
- (a.) United, joined, or sharing with another or with others; not solitary in interest or action; holding in common with an associate, or with associates; acting together; as, joint heir; joint creditor; joint debtor, etc.
- (n.) A projecting or retreating part in something; any irregularity of line or surface, as in a wall.
- (n.) A narrow piece of scenery used to join together two flats or wings of an interior setting.
- (n.) A place of low resort, as for smoking opium.
• Jointing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Joint
- (n.) The act or process of making a joint; also, the joints thus produced.
• Jointure Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To settle a jointure upon.
- (n.) A joining; a joint.
- (n.) An estate settled on a wife, which she is to enjoy after husbands decease, for her own life at least, in satisfaction of dower.