• Knife Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An instrument consisting of a thin blade, usually of steel and having a sharp edge for cutting, fastened to a handle, but of many different forms and names for different uses; as, table knife, drawing knife, putty knife, pallet knife, pocketknife, penknife, chopping knife, etc..
- (v. t.) To cut or stab with a knife.
- (v. t.) To prune with the knife.
- (n.) A sword or dagger.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To stab in the back; to try to defeat by underhand means, esp. in politics; to vote or work secretly against (a candidate of ones own party).
• Knife-edge Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A piece of steel sharpened to an acute edge or angle, and resting on a smooth surface, serving as the axis of motion of a pendulum, scale beam, or other piece required to oscillate with the least possible friction.