• Knighting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Knight
• Knight Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One on whom knighthood, a dignity next below that of baronet, is conferred by the sovereign, entitling him to be addressed as Sir; as, Sir John.
- (v. t.) To dub or create (one) a knight; -- done in England by the sovereign only, who taps the kneeling candidate with a sword, saying: Rise, Sir ---.
- (n.) In feudal times, a man-at-arms serving on horseback and admitted to a certain military rank with special ceremonies, including an oath to protect the distressed, maintain the right, and live a stainless life.
- (n.) A piece used in the game of chess, usually bearing a horses head.
- (n.) A playing card bearing the figure of a knight; the knave or jack.
- (n.) A champion; a partisan; a lover.
- (n.) A young servant or follower; a military attendant.