• Land Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The mainland, in distinction from islands.
- (n.) The ground or floor.
- (n.) The lap of the strakes in a clinker-built boat; the lap of plates in an iron vessel; -- called also landing.
- (n.) The inhabitants of a nation or people.
- (n.) In any surface prepared with indentations, perforations, or grooves, that part of the surface which is not so treated, as the level part of a millstone between the furrows, or the surface of the bore of a rifled gun between the grooves.
- (n.) Any portion, large or small, of the surface of the earth, considered by itself, or as belonging to an individual or a people, as a country, estate, farm, or tract.
- (n.) Ground, in respect to its nature or quality; soil; as, wet land; good or bad land.
- (n.) The solid part of the surface of the earth; -- opposed to water as constituting a part of such surface, especially to oceans and seas; as, to sight land after a long voyage.
- (n.) Urine. See Lant.
- (v. t.) To catch and bring to shore; to capture; as, to land a fish.
- (n.) Any ground, soil, or earth whatsoever, as meadows, pastures, woods, etc., and everything annexed to it, whether by nature, as trees, water, etc., or by the hand of man, as buildings, fences, etc.; real estate.
- (v. i.) To go on shore from a ship or boat; to disembark; to come to the end of a course.
- (v. t.) To set down after conveying; to cause to fall, alight, or reach; to bring to the end of a course; as, he landed the quoit near the stake; to be thrown from a horse and landed in the mud; to land one in difficulties or mistakes.
- (n.) The ground left unplowed between furrows; any one of several portions into which a field is divided for convenience in plowing.
- (v. t.) To set or put on shore from a ship or other water craft; to disembark; to debark.
• Landau Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A four-wheeled covered vehicle, the top of which is divided into two sections which can be let down, or thrown back, in such a manner as to make an open carriage.
• Landmark Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any conspicuous object on land that serves as a guide; some prominent object, as a hill or steeple.
- (n.) A mark to designate the boundary of land; any , mark or fixed object (as a marked tree, a stone, a ditch, or a heap of stones) by which the limits of a farm, a town, or other portion of territory may be known and preserved.
• Landmen Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Landman