• Lapsing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Lapse
• Lapse Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To pass slowly and smoothly downward, backward, or away; to slip downward, backward, or away; to glide; -- mostly restricted to figurative uses.
- (v. t.) To surprise in a fault or error; hence, to surprise or catch, as an offender.
- (v. t.) To let slip; to permit to devolve on another; to allow to pass.
- (n.) A slip; an error; a fault; a failing in duty; a slight deviation from truth or rectitude.
- (v. i.) To become ineffectual or void; to fall.
- (v. i.) To slide or slip in moral conduct; to fail in duty; to fall from virtue; to deviate from rectitude; to commit a fault by inadvertence or mistake.
- (n.) A gliding, slipping, or gradual falling; an unobserved or imperceptible progress or passing away,; -- restricted usually to immaterial things, or to figurative uses.
- (v. i.) To fall or pass from one proprietor to another, or from the original destination, by the omission, negligence, or failure of some one, as a patron, a legatee, etc.
- (n.) The termination of a right or privilege through neglect to exercise it within the limited time, or through failure of some contingency; hence, the devolution of a right or privilege.
- (n.) A fall or apostasy.