• Lashed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Lash
• Lash Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) In carpet weaving, a group of strings for lifting simultaneously certain yarns, to form the figure.
- (v. t.) To strike with a lash ; to whip or scourge with a lash, or with something like one.
- (v. t.) To strike forcibly and quickly, as with a lash; to beat, or beat upon, with a motion like that of a lash; as, a whale lashes the sea with his tail.
- (n.) To bind with a rope, cord, thong, or chain, so as to fasten; as, to lash something to a spar; to lash a pack on a horses back.
- (n.) A leash in which an animal is caught or held; hence, a snare.
- (v. i.) To ply the whip; to strike; to utter censure or sarcastic language.
- (v. t.) To throw out with a jerk or quickly.
- (n.) The thong or braided cord of a whip, with which the blow is given.
- (v. t.) To scold; to berate; to satirize; to censure with severity; as, to lash vice.
- (n.) A stroke with a whip, or anything pliant and tough; as, the culprit received thirty-nine lashes.
- (n.) A stroke of satire or sarcasm; an expression or retort that cuts or gives pain; a cut.
- (n.) A hair growing from the edge of the eyelid; an eyelash.