• Last Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Next before the present; as, I saw him last week.
- (a.) Farthest of all from a given quality, character, or condition; most unlikely; having least fitness; as, he is the last person to be accused of theft.
- (a.) At a time next preceding the present time.
- (n.) The burden of a ship; a cargo.
- (a.) Lowest in rank or degree; as, the last prize.
- (v. i.) To continue in time; to endure; to remain in existence.
- (a.) Supreme; highest in degree; utmost.
- (n.) A load; a heavy burden; hence, a certain weight or measure, generally estimated at 4,000 lbs., but varying for different articles and in different countries. In England, a last of codfish, white herrings, meal, or ashes, is twelve barrels; a last of corn, ten quarters, or eighty bushels, in some parts of England, twenty-one quarters; of gunpowder, twenty-four barrels, each containing 100 lbs; of red herrings, twenty cades, or 20,000; of hides, twelve dozen; of leather, twenty dickers; of pitch and tar, fourteen barrels; of wool, twelve sacks; of flax or feathers, 1,700 lbs.
- (v. t.) To shape with a last; to fasten or fit to a last; to place smoothly on a last; as, to last a boot.
- (a.) At a time or on an occasion which is the latest of all those spoken of or which have occurred; the last time; as, I saw him last in New York.
- (3d pers. sing. pres.) of Last, to endure, contracted from lasteth.
- (v. i.) A wooden block shaped like the human foot, on which boots and shoes are formed.
- (a.) In conclusion; finally.
- (a.) Being after all the others, similarly classed or considered, in time, place, or order of succession; following all the rest; final; hindmost; farthest; as, the last year of a century; the last man in a line of soldiers; the last page in a book; his last chance.
- (v. i.) To endure use, or continue in existence, without impairment or exhaustion; as, this cloth lasts better than that; the fuel will last through the winter.
• Lastage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The lading of a ship; also, ballast.
- (n.) Room for stowing goods, as in a ship.
- (n.) A duty exacted, in some fairs or markets, for the right to carry things where one will.
- (n.) A tax on wares sold by the last.