• Late Definition & Synonyms
- (v.) Existing or holding some position not long ago, but not now; lately deceased, departed, or gone out of office; as, the late bishop of London; the late administration.
- (a.) After the usual or proper time, or the time appointed; after delay; as, he arrived late; -- opposed to early.
- (a.) Not long ago; lately.
- (v.) Continuing or doing until an advanced hour of the night; as, late revels; a late watcher.
- (v.) Coming after the time when due, or after the usual or proper time; not early; slow; tardy; long delayed; as, a late spring.
- (v.) Not long past; happening not long ago; recent; as, the late rains; we have received late intelligence.
- (a.) Far in the night, day, week, or other particular period; as, to lie abed late; to sit up late at night.
- (v.) Far advanced toward the end or close; as, a late hour of the day; a late period of life.
• Lately Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) Not long ago; recently; as, he has lately arrived from Italy.
• Latescent Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Slightly withdrawn from view or knowledge; as, a latescent meaning.