• Latin Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The language of the ancient Romans.
- (n.) A native or inhabitant of Latium; a Roman.
- (n.) A member of the Roman Catholic Church.
- (a.) Of, pertaining to, or composed in, the language used by the Romans or Latins; as, a Latin grammar; a Latin composition or idiom.
- (v. t.) To write or speak in Latin; to turn or render into Latin.
- (n.) An exercise in schools, consisting in turning English into Latin.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to Latium, or to the Latins, a people of Latium; Roman; as, the Latin language.
• Latinism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A Latin idiom; a mode of speech peculiar to Latin; also, a mode of speech in another language, as English, formed on a Latin model.
• Latinist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One skilled in Latin; a Latin scholar.