• Lean Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) Wanting flesh; destitute of or deficient in fat; not plump; meager; thin; lank; as, a lean body; a lean cattle.
- (v. i.) To cause to lean; to incline; to support or rest.
- (n.) Unremunerative copy or work.
- (v. i.) To rest or rely, for support, comfort, and the like; -- with on, upon, or against.
- (v. t.) To conceal.
- (v. i.) Wanting fullness, richness, sufficiency, or productiveness; deficient in quality or contents; slender; scant; barren; bare; mean; -- used literally and figuratively; as, the lean harvest; a lean purse; a lean discourse; lean wages.
- (v. i.) Of a character which prevents the compositor from earning the usual wages; -- opposed to fat; as, lean copy, matter, or type.
- (v. i.) To incline, deviate, or bend, from a vertical position; to be in a position thus inclining or deviating; as, she leaned out at the window; a leaning column.
- (v. i.) To incline in opinion or desire; to conform in conduct; -- with to, toward, etc.
- (n.) That part of flesh which consist principally of muscle without the fat.
• Lean-faced Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having a thin face.
- (a.) slender or narrow; -- said of type the letters of which have thin lines, or are unusually narrow in proportion to their height.