• Leavening Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of making light, or causing to ferment, by means of leaven.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Leaven
- (n.) That which leavens or makes light.
• Leaven Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make light by the action of leaven; to cause to ferment.
- (n.) Any substance that produces, or is designed to produce, fermentation, as in dough or liquids; esp., a portion of fermenting dough, which, mixed with a larger quantity of dough, produces a general change in the mass, and renders it light; yeast; barm.
- (n.) Anything which makes a general assimilating (especially a corrupting) change in the mass.
- (v. t.) To imbue; to infect; to vitiate.