• Left Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Leave
- (a.) Of or pertaining to that side of the body in man on which the muscular action of the limbs is usually weaker than on the other side; -- opposed to right, when used in reference to a part of the body; as, the left hand, or arm; the left ear. Also said of the corresponding side of the lower animals.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Leave.
- (n.) That part of surrounding space toward which the left side of ones body is turned; as, the house is on the left when you face North.
- (n.) Those members of a legislative assembly (as in France) who are in the opposition; the advanced republicans and extreme radicals. They have their seats at the left-hand side of the presiding officer. See Center, and Right.
- (a.) Situated so that the left side of the body is toward it; as, the left side of a deliberative meeting is that to the left of the presiding officer; the left wing of an army is that to the left of the center to one facing an enemy.
• Left-off Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Laid aside; cast-off.
• Left-handed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Clumsy; awkward; unlucky; insincere; sinister; malicious; as, a left-handed compliment.
- (a.) Having the left hand or arm stronger and more dexterous than the right; using the left hand and arm with more dexterity than the right.
- (a.) Having a direction contrary to that of the hands of a watch when seen in front; -- said of a twist, a rotary motion, etc., looked at from a given direction.