• Legitimating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Legitimate
• Legitimate Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Following by logical sequence; reasonable; as, a legitimate result; a legitimate inference.
- (a.) Lawfully begotten; born in wedlock.
- (a.) Accordant with law or with established legal forms and requirements; lawful; as, legitimate government; legitimate rights; the legitimate succession to the throne; a legitimate proceeding of an officer; a legitimate heir.
- (a.) Conforming to known principles, or accepted rules; as, legitimate reasoning; a legitimate standard, or method; a legitimate combination of colors.
- (v. t.) To make legitimate, lawful, or valid; esp., to put in the position or state of a legitimate person before the law, by legal means; as, to legitimate a bastard child.
- (a.) Authorized; real; genuine; not false, counterfeit, or spurious; as, legitimate poems of Chaucer; legitimate inscriptions.