• Length Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) The quality or state of being long, in space or time; extent; duration; as, some sea birds are remarkable for the length of their wings; he was tired by the length of the sermon, and the length of his walk.
- (a.) The longest, or longer, dimension of any object, in distinction from breadth or width; extent of anything from end to end; the longest line which can be drawn through a body, parallel to its sides; as, the length of a church, or of a ship; the length of a rope or line.
- (v. t.) To lengthen.
- (a.) Detail or amplification; unfolding; continuance as, to pursue a subject to a great length.
- (a.) A single piece or subdivision of a series, or of a number of long pieces which may be connected together; as, a length of pipe; a length of fence.
- (a.) A portion of space or of time considered as measured by its length; -- often in the plural.
- (a.) Distance.
• Lengthen Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To extent in length; to make longer in extent or duration; as, to lengthen a line or a road; to lengthen life; -- sometimes followed by out.
- (v. i.) To become longer.