• Levy Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of levying or collecting by authority; as, the levy of troops, taxes, etc.
- (v. t.) To erect, build, or set up; to make or construct; to raise or cast up; as, to levy a mill, dike, ditch, a nuisance, etc.
- (v. i.) To seize property, real or personal, or subject it to the operation of an execution; to make a levy; as, to levy on property; the usual mode of levying, in England, is by seizing the goods.
- (n.) That which is levied, as an army, force, tribute, etc.
- (v. t.) To raise or collect by assessment; to exact by authority; as, to levy taxes, toll, tribute, or contributions.
- (v. t.) To raise, as a siege.
- (n.) The taking or seizure of property on executions to satisfy judgments, or on warrants for the collection of taxes; a collecting by execution.
- (n.) A name formerly given in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia to the Spanish real of one eighth of a dollar (or 12/ cents), valued at eleven pence when the dollar was rated at 7s. 6d.
- (v. t.) To gather or exact; as, to levy money.
- (v. t.) To raise; to collect; said of troops, to form into an army by enrollment, conscription, etc.
- (v. t.) To take or seize on execution; to collect by execution.
• Levynite Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A whitish, reddish, or yellowish, transparent or translucent mineral, allied to chabazite.
• Levyne Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Levynite