• License Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Excess of liberty; freedom abused, or used in contempt of law or decorum; disregard of law or propriety.
- (v. t.) To permit or authorize by license; to give license to; as, to license a man to preach.
- (n.) The document granting such permission.
- (n.) That deviation from strict fact, form, or rule, in which an artist or writer indulges, assuming that it will be permitted for the sake of the advantage or effect gained; as, poetic license; grammatical license, etc.
- (n.) Authority or liberty given to do or forbear any act; especially, a formal permission from the proper authorities to perform certain acts or to carry on a certain business, which without such permission would be illegal; a grant of permission; as, a license to preach, to practice medicine, to sell gunpowder or intoxicating liquors.
• Licensee Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The person to whom a license is given.
• Licensed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of License
- (a.) Having a license; permitted or authorized by license; as, a licensed victualer; a licensed traffic.