• Lime Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cement.
- (n.) Oxide of calcium; the white or gray, caustic substance, usually called quicklime, obtained by calcining limestone or shells, the heat driving off carbon dioxide and leaving lime. It develops great heat when treated with water, forming slacked lime, and is an essential ingredient of cement, plastering, mortar, etc.
- (v. t.) To entangle; to insnare.
- (v. t.) To smear with a viscous substance, as birdlime.
- (n.) A thong by which a dog is led; a leash.
- (n.) A fruit allied to the lemon, but much smaller; also, the tree which bears it. There are two kinds; Citrus Medica, var. acida which is intensely sour, and the sweet lime (C. Medica, var. Limetta) which is only slightly sour.
- (n.) The linden tree. See Linden.
- (n.) Birdlime.
- (v. t.) To treat with lime, or oxide or hydrate of calcium; to manure with lime; as, to lime hides for removing the hair; to lime sails in order to whiten them.
• Limenean Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A native or inhabitant of Lima.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to Lima, or to the inhabitants of Lima, in Peru.
• Limerick Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A nonsense poem of five anapestic lines, of which lines 1, 2, and 5 are of there feet, and rime, and lines 3 and 4 are of two feet, and rime; as --There was a young lady, Amanda,/Whose Ballades Lyriques were quite fin de/Si/cle, I deem/But her Journal Intime/Was what sent her papa to Uganda.//