• Limit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A determining feature; a distinguishing characteristic; a differentia.
- (v. t.) A determinate quantity, to which a variable one continually approaches, and may differ from it by less than any given difference, but to which, under the law of variation, the variable can never become exactly equivalent.
- (v. i.) To beg, or to exercise functions, within a certain limited region; as, a limiting friar.
- (v. t.) The space or thing defined by limits.
- (v. t.) That which terminates a period of time; hence, the period itself; the full time or extent.
- (v. t.) To apply a limit to, or set a limit for; to terminate, circumscribe, or restrict, by a limit or limits; as, to limit the acreage of a crop; to limit the issue of paper money; to limit ones ambitions or aspirations; to limit the meaning of a word.
- (v. t.) A restriction; a check; a curb; a hindrance.
- (v. t.) That which terminates, circumscribes, restrains, or confines; the bound, border, or edge; the utmost extent; as, the limit of a walk, of a town, of a country; the limits of human knowledge or endeavor.
• Limitarian Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Tending to limit.
• Limitation Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A certain period limited by statute after which the claimant shall not enforce his claims by suit.
- (v. t.) The act of limiting; the state or condition of being limited; as, the limitation of his authority was approved by the council.
- (v. t.) A limited time within or during which something is to be done.
- (v. t.) A restriction of power; as, a constitutional limitation.
- (v. t.) A settling of an estate or property by specific rules.
- (v. t.) That which limits; a restriction; a qualification; a restraining condition, defining circumstance, or qualifying conception; as, limitations of thought.
- (v. t.) A certain precinct within which friars were allowed to beg, or exercise their functions; also, the time during which they were permitted to exercise their functions in such a district.