• Literal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Consisting of, or expressed by, letters.
- (a.) According to the letter or verbal expression; real; not figurative or metaphorical; as, the literal meaning of a phrase.
- (n.) Literal meaning.
- (a.) Giving a strict or literal construction; unimaginative; matter-of fast; -- applied to persons.
- (a.) Following the letter or exact words; not free.
• Literally Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) According to the primary and natural import of words; not figuratively; as, a man and his wife can not be literally one flesh.
- (adv.) With close adherence to words; word by word.
• Literalist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who adheres to the letter or exact word; an interpreter according to the letter.