• Living Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The benefice of a clergyman; an ecclesiastical charge which a minister receives.
- (n.) Manner of life; as, riotous living; penurious living; earnest living.
- (n.) The state of one who, or that which, lives; lives; life; existence.
- (n.) Means of subsistence; sustenance; estate.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Live
- (n.) Power of continuing life; the act of living, or living comfortably.
• Live Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To have a spiritual existence; to be quickened, nourished, and actuated by divine influence or faith.
- (v. i.) To be alive; to have life; to have, as an animal or a plant, the capacity of assimilating matter as food, and to be dependent on such assimilation for a continuance of existence; as, animals and plants that live to a great age are long in reaching maturity.
- (v. i.) To be or continue in existence; to exist; to remain; to be permanent; to last; -- said of inanimate objects, ideas, etc.
- (v. i.) To outlast danger; to float; -- said of a ship, boat, etc.; as, no ship could live in such a storm.
- (v. i.) To make ones abiding place or home; to abide; to dwell; to reside.
- (a.) Full of earnestness; active; wide awake; glowing; as, a live man, or orator.
- (a.) Being in a state of ignition; burning; having active properties; as, a live coal; live embers.
- (v. t.) To spend, as ones life; to pass; to maintain; to continue in, constantly or habitually; as, to live an idle or a useful life.
- (v. i.) To feed; to subsist; to be nourished or supported; -- with on; as, horses live on grass and grain.
- (n.) Life.
- (v. i.) To enjoy or make the most of life; to be in a state of happiness.
- (v. t.) To act habitually in conformity with; to practice.
- (v. i.) To pass ones time; to pass life or time in a certain manner, as to habits, conduct, or circumstances; as, to live in ease or affluence; to live happily or usefully.
- (a.) Imparting power; having motion; as, the live spindle of a lathe.
- (a.) Vivid; bright.
- (v. i.) To be maintained in life; to acquire a livelihood; to subsist; -- with on or by; as, to live on spoils.
- (a.) Having life; alive; living; not dead.
• Living picture Definition & Synonyms
- () A tableau in which persons take part; also, specif., such a tableau as imitating a work of art.
• Livingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a living state.