• Lord Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A titled nobleman., whether a peer of the realm or not; a bishop, as a member of the House of Lords; by courtesy; the son of a duke or marquis, or the eldest son of an earl; in a restricted sense, a boron, as opposed to noblemen of higher rank.
- (v. t.) To invest with the dignity, power, and privileges of a lord.
- (v. t.) To rule or preside over as a lord.
- (n.) A husband.
- (n.) A title bestowed on the persons above named; and also, for honor, on certain official persons; as, lord advocate, lord chamberlain, lord chancellor, lord chief justice, etc.
- (n.) The Savior; Jesus Christ.
- (v. i.) To play the lord; to domineer; to rule with arbitrary or despotic sway; -- sometimes with over; and sometimes with it in the manner of a transitive verb.
- (n.) One who has power and authority; a master; a ruler; a governor; a prince; a proprietor, as of a manor.
- (n.) A hump-backed person; -- so called sportively.
- (n.) One of whom a fee or estate is held; the male owner of feudal land; as, the lord of the soil; the lord of the manor.
- (n.) The Supreme Being; Jehovah.
• Lordosis Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A curvature of the spine forwards, usually in the lumbar region.
- (n.) Any abnormal curvature of the bones.
• Lordly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a lordly manner.
- (superl.) Proud; haughty; imperious; insolent.
- (superl.) Suitable for a lord; of or pertaining to a lord; resembling a lord; hence, grand; noble; dignified; honorable.