• Machined Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Machine
• Machine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A combination of persons acting together for a common purpose, with the agencies which they use; as, the social machine.
- (n.) In general, any combination of bodies so connected that their relative motions are constrained, and by means of which force and motion may be transmitted and modified, as a screw and its nut, or a lever arranged to turn about a fulcrum or a pulley about its pivot, etc.; especially, a construction, more or less complex, consisting of a combination of moving parts, or simple mechanical elements, as wheels, levers, cams, etc., with their supports and connecting framework, calculated to constitute a prime mover, or to receive force and motion from a prime mover or from another machine, and transmit, modify, and apply them to the production of some desired mechanical effect or work, as weaving by a loom, or the excitation of electricity by an electrical machine.
- (n.) A person who acts mechanically or at will of another.
- (n.) Any mechanical contrivance, as the wooden horse with which the Greeks entered Troy; a coach; a bicycle.
- (n.) A political organization arranged and controlled by one or more leaders for selfish, private or partisan ends.
- (n.) Supernatural agency in a poem, or a superhuman being introduced to perform some exploit.
- (v. t.) To subject to the action of machinery; to effect by aid of machinery; to print with a printing machine.