• Magnifying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Magnify
• Magnify Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To praise highly; to land; to extol.
- (v. t.) To exaggerate; as, to magnify a loss or a difficulty.
- (v. t.) To make great, or greater; to increase the dimensions of; to amplify; to enlarge, either in fact or in appearance; as, the microscope magnifies the object by a thousand diameters.
- (v. i.) To have effect; to be of importance or significance.
- (v. i.) To have the power of causing objects to appear larger than they really are; to increase the apparent dimensions of objects; as, some lenses magnify but little.
- (v. t.) To increase the importance of; to augment the esteem or respect in which one is held.