• Main Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Vast; huge.
- (a.) Important; necessary.
- (n.) A hand or match at dice.
- (v.) The chief or principal part; the main or most important thing.
- (n.) A match at cockfighting.
- (a.) Unqualified; absolute; entire; sheer.
- (v.) The great sea, as distinguished from an arm, bay, etc. ; the high sea; the ocean.
- (a.) Very or extremely strong.
- (v.) The continent, as distinguished from an island; the mainland.
- (a.) Principal; chief; first in size, rank, importance, etc.
- (v.) Strength; force; might; violent effort.
- (v.) principal duct or pipe, as distinguished from lesser ones; esp. (Engin.), a principal pipe leading to or from a reservoir; as, a fire main.
- (n.) The largest throw in a match at dice; a throw at dice within given limits, as in the game of hazard.
- (a.) Very; extremely; as, main heavy.
- (n.) A main-hamper.
- (n.) A stake played for at dice.
• Main-hamper Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A hamper to be carried in the hand; a hand basket used in carrying grapes to the press.
• Mainmast Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The principal mast in a ship or other vessel.