• Maintain Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To hold or keep in any particular state or condition; to support; to sustain; to uphold; to keep up; not to suffer to fail or decline; as, to maintain a certain degree of heat in a furnace; to maintain a fence or a railroad; to maintain the digestive process or powers of the stomach; to maintain the fertility of soil; to maintain present reputation.
- (v. t.) To affirm; to support or defend by argument.
- (v. t.) To bear the expense of; to support; to keep up; to supply with what is needed.
- (v. t.) To continue; not to suffer to cease or fail.
- (v. t.) To keep possession of; to hold and defend; not to surrender or relinquish.
• Maintainor Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, not being interested, maintains a cause depending between others, by furnishing money, etc., to either party.
• Maintaining Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Maintain