• Mara Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The Patagonian cavy (Dolichotis Patagonicus).
- (n.) A female demon who torments people in sleep by crouching on their chests or stomachs, or by causing terrifying visions.
- (n.) The principal or ruling evil spirit.
• Marabou Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One having five eighths negro blood; the offspring of a mulatto and a griffe.
- (n.) A large stork of the genus Leptoptilos (formerly Ciconia), esp. the African species (L. crumenifer), which furnishes plumes worn as ornaments. The Asiatic species (L. dubius, or L. argala) is the adjutant. See Adjutant.
- (n.) A kind of thrown raw silk, nearly white naturally, but capable of being dyed without scouring; also, a thin fabric made from it, as for scarfs, which resembles the feathers of the marabou in delicacy, -- whence the name.
• Marabout Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A Mohammedan saint; especially, one who claims to work cures supernaturally.