• Marked Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Designated or distinguished by, or as by, a mark; hence; noticeable; conspicuous; as, a marked card; a marked coin; a marked instance.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Mark
• Mark Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A license of reprisals. See Marque.
- (v. t.) To keep account of; to enumerate and register; as, to mark the points in a game of billiards or cards.
- (n.) A fixed object serving for guidance, as of a ship, a traveler, a surveyor, etc.; as, a seamark, a landmark.
- (n.) The unit of monetary account of the German Empire, equal to 23.8 cents of United States money; the equivalent of one hundred pfennigs. Also, a silver coin of this value.
- (n.) Image; likeness; hence, those formed in ones image; children; descendants.
- (v. i.) To take particular notice; to observe critically; to note; to remark.
- (v. t.) To leave a trace, scratch, scar, or other mark, upon, or any evidence of action; as, a pencil marks paper; his hobnails marked the floor.
- (n.) One of the bits of leather or colored bunting which are placed upon a sounding line at intervals of from two to five fathoms. The unmarked fathoms are called "deeps."
- (n.) That toward which a missile is directed; a thing aimed at; what one seeks to hit or reach.
- (n.) Badge or sign of honor, rank, or official station.
- (n.) A number or other character used in registring; as, examination marks; a mark for tardiness.
- (n.) Limit or standard of action or fact; as, to be within the mark; to come up to the mark.
- (v. t.) To notice or observe; to give attention to; to take note of; to remark; to heed; to regard.
- (n.) An evidence of presence, agency, or influence; a significative token; a symptom; a trace; specifically, a permanent impression of ones activity or character.
- (n.) Attention, regard, or respect.
- (n.) An old weight and coin. See Marc.
- (n.) A visible sign or impression made or left upon anything; esp., a line, point, stamp, figure, or the like, drawn or impressed, so as to attract the attention and convey some information or intimation; a token; a trace.
- (v. t.) To put a mark upon; to affix a significant mark to; to make recognizable by a mark; as, to mark a box or bale of merchandise; to mark clothing.
- (n.) A character or device put on an article of merchandise by the maker to show by whom it was made; a trade-mark.
- (n.) A character (usually a cross) made as a substitute for a signature by one who can not write.
- (n.) A characteristic or essential attribute; a differential.
- (v. t.) To be a mark upon; to designate; to indicate; -- used literally and figuratively; as, this monument marks the spot where Wolfe died; his courage and energy marked him for a leader.
- (n.) A trace, dot, line, imprint, or discoloration, although not regarded as a token or sign; a scratch, scar, stain, etc.; as, this pencil makes a fine mark.
- (n.) Preeminence; high position; as, particians of mark; a fellow of no mark.