• Mass Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The portions of the Mass usually set to music, considered as a musical composition; -- namely, the Kyrie, the Gloria, the Credo, the Sanctus, and the Agnus Dei, besides sometimes an Offertory and the Benedictus.
- (n.) Bulk; magnitude; body; size.
- (n.) A quantity of matter cohering together so as to make one body, or an aggregation of particles or things which collectively make one body or quantity, usually of considerable size; as, a mass of ore, metal, sand, or water.
- (n.) The principal part; the main body.
- (v. i.) To celebrate Mass.
- (n.) A large quantity; a sum.
- (n.) A medicinal substance made into a cohesive, homogeneous lump, of consistency suitable for making pills; as, blue mass.
- (n.) The sacrifice in the sacrament of the Eucharist, or the consecration and oblation of the host.
- (n.) The quantity of matter which a body contains, irrespective of its bulk or volume.
- (v. t.) To form or collect into a mass; to form into a collective body; to bring together into masses; to assemble.
• Massacre Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The killing of a considerable number of human beings under circumstances of atrocity or cruelty, or contrary to the usages of civilized people; as, the massacre on St. Bartholomews Day.
- (n.) Murder.
- (n.) To kill in considerable numbers where much resistance can not be made; to kill with indiscriminate violence, without necessity, and contrary to the usages of nations; to butcher; to slaughter; -- limited to the killing of human beings.
• Massy Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Compacted into, or consisting of, a mass; having bulk and weight ot substance; ponderous; bulky and heavy; weight; heavy; as, a massy shield; a massy rock.