• Master Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The commander of a merchant vessel; -- usually called captain. Also, a commissioned officer in the navy ranking next above ensign and below lieutenant; formerly, an officer on a man-of-war who had immediate charge, under the commander, of sailing the vessel.
- (n.) One who has attained great skill in the use or application of anything; as, a master of oratorical art.
- (v. t.) To become the master of; to subject to ones will, control, or authority; to conquer; to overpower; to subdue.
- (n.) A title given by courtesy, now commonly pronounced mister, except when given to boys; -- sometimes written Mister, but usually abbreviated to Mr.
- (v. i.) To be skillful; to excel.
- (n.) A vessel having (so many) masts; -- used only in compounds; as, a two-master.
- (v. t.) To gain the command of, so as to understand or apply; to become an adept in; as, to master a science.
- (n.) A person holding an office of authority among the Freemasons, esp. the presiding officer; also, a person holding a similar office in other civic societies.
- (v. t.) To own; to posses.
- (n.) One who uses, or controls at will, anything inanimate; as, to be master of ones time.
- (n.) A male person having another living being so far subject to his will, that he can, in the main, control his or its actions; -- formerly used with much more extensive application than now. (a) The employer of a servant. (b) The owner of a slave. (c) The person to whom an apprentice is articled. (d) A sovereign, prince, or feudal noble; a chief, or one exercising similar authority. (e) The head of a household. (f) The male head of a school or college. (g) A male teacher. (h) The director of a number of persons performing a ceremony or sharing a feast. (i) The owner of a docile brute, -- especially a dog or horse. (j) The controller of a familiar spirit or other supernatural being.
- (n.) A young gentleman; a lad, or small boy.
, Sea captain
• Masterdom Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Dominion; rule; command.
• Masterliness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being masterly; ability to control wisely or skillfully.