• Mat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A name given by coppersmiths to an alloy of copper, tin, iron, etc., usually called white metal.
- (n.) A fabric of sedge, rushes, flags, husks, straw, hemp, or similar material, used for wiping and cleaning shoes at the door, for covering the floor of a hall or room, and for other purposes.
- (n.) Anything growing thickly, or closely interwoven, so as to resemble a mat in form or texture; as, a mat of weeds; a mat of hair.
- (v. t.) To twist, twine, or felt together; to interweave into, or like, a mat; to entangle.
- (v. t.) To cover or lay with mats.
- (a.) Cast down; dejected; overthrown; slain.
- (v. i.) To grow thick together; to become interwoven or felted together like a mat.
- (n.) Any similar fabric for various uses, as for covering plant houses, putting beneath dishes or lamps on a table, securing rigging from friction, and the like.
- (n.) An ornamental border made of paper, pasterboard, metal, etc., put under the glass which covers a framed picture; as, the mat of a daguerreotype.
• Matabele Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) Alt. of Matabeles
• Mattowacca Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An American clupeoid fish (Clupea mediocris), similar to the shad in habits and appearance, but smaller and less esteemed for food; -- called also hickory shad, tailor shad, fall herring, and shad herring.