• Mate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To confuse; to confound.
- (n.) One who customarily associates with another; a companion; an associate; any object which is associated or combined with a similar object.
- (n.) The Paraguay tea, being the dried leaf of the Brazilian holly (Ilex Paraguensis). The infusion has a pleasant odor, with an agreeable bitter taste, and is much used for tea in South America.
- (n.) Same as Checkmate.
- (v. t.) To match ones self against; to oppose as equal; to compete with.
- (n.) Hence, specifically, a husband or wife; and among the lower animals, one of a pair associated for propagation and the care of their young.
- (n.) An officer in a merchant vessel ranking next below the captain. If there are more than one bearing the title, they are called, respectively, first mate, second mate, third mate, etc. In the navy, a subordinate officer or assistant; as, masters mate; surgeons mate.
- (v. t.) To checkmate.
- (v. t.) To match; to marry.
- (a.) See 2d Mat.
- (v. i.) To be or become a mate or mates, especially in sexual companionship; as, some birds mate for life; this bird will not mate with that one.
- (n.) A suitable companion; a match; an equal.
, Paraguay tea
• Maternity Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state of being a mother; the character or relation of a mother.
• Materialized Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Materialize