• Matting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Mat
- (v. t. & i.) An ornamental border. See 3d Mat, 4.
- (v. t. & i.) Mats, in general, or collectively; mat work; a matlike fabric, for use in covering floors, packing articles, and the like; a kind of carpeting made of straw, etc.
- (n.) A dull, lusterless surface in certain of the arts, as gilding, metal work, glassmaking, etc.
- (v. t. & i.) The act of interweaving or tangling together so as to make a mat; the process of becoming matted.
- (v. t. & i.) Materials for mats.
• Matt Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Matte.
• Matte Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A partly reduced copper sulphide, obtained by alternately roasting and melting copper ore in separating the metal from associated iron ores, and called coarse metal, fine metal, etc., according to the grade of fineness. On the exterior it is dark brown or black, but on a fresh surface is yellow or bronzy in color.
- (n.) A dead or dull finish, as in gilding where the gold leaf is not burnished, or in painting where the surface is purposely deprived of gloss.