• May Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The merrymaking of May Day.
- (n.) The fifth month of the year, containing thirty-one days.
- (v.) An auxiliary verb qualifyng the meaning of another verb, by expressing: (a) Ability, competency, or possibility; -- now oftener expressed by can.
- (n.) The early part or springtime of life.
- (n.) The flowers of the hawthorn; -- so called from their time of blossoming; also, the hawthorn.
- (n.) A maiden.
• May laws Definition & Synonyms
- () See Kulturkampf, above.
- () In Russia, severe oppressive laws against Jews, which have given occasion for great persecution; -- so called because they received the assent of the czar in May, 1882, and because likened to the Prussian May laws (see Kulturkampf).