• Maya Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The name for the doctrine of the unreality of matter, called, in English, idealism; hence, nothingness; vanity; illusion.
• Mayan Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the Mayas.
- (a.) Designating, or pertaining to, an American Indian linguistic stock occupying the Mexican States of Veracruz, Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, and Yucatan, together with a part of Guatemala and a part of Salvador. The Mayan peoples are dark, short, and brachycephallic, and at the time of the discovery had attained a higher grade of culture than any other American people. They cultivated a variety of crops, were expert in the manufacture and dyeing of cotton fabrics, used cacao as a medium of exchange, and were workers of gold, silver, and copper. Their architecture comprised elaborately carved temples and places, and they possessed a superior calendar, and a developed system of hieroglyphic writing, with records said to go back to about 700 a. d.
• Maya arch Definition & Synonyms
- () A form of corbel arch employing regular small corbels.