• Mean Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A part, whether alto or tenor, intermediate between the soprano and base; a middle part.
- (superl.) Of little value or account; worthy of little or no regard; contemptible; despicable.
- (n.) That through which, or by the help of which, an end is attained; something tending to an object desired; intermediate agency or measure; necessary condition or coagent; instrument.
- (v. i.) To have a purpose or intention.
- (n.) Meantime; meanwhile.
- (n.) That which is mean, or intermediate, between two extremes of place, time, or number; the middle point or place; middle rate or degree; mediocrity; medium; absence of extremes or excess; moderation; measure.
- (superl.) Wanting dignity of mind; low-minded; base; destitute of honor; spiritless; as, a mean motive.
- (a.) Average; having an intermediate value between two extremes, or between the several successive values of a variable quantity during one cycle of variation; as, mean distance; mean motion; mean solar day.
- (n.) A quantity having an intermediate value between several others, from which it is derived, and of which it expresses the resultant value; usually, unless otherwise specified, it is the simple average, formed by adding the quantities together and dividing by their number, which is called an arithmetical mean. A geometrical mean is the square root of the product of the quantities.
- (v. t.) To have in the mind, as a purpose, intention, etc.; to intend; to purpose; to design; as, what do you mean to do ?
- (a.) Occupying a middle position; middle; being about midway between extremes.
- (v. t.) To signify; to indicate; to import; to denote.
- (n.) A mediator; a go-between.
- (superl.) Penurious; stingy; close-fisted; illiberal; as, mean hospitality.
- (superl.) Destitute of distinction or eminence; common; low; vulgar; humble.
- (superl.) Of poor quality; as, mean fare.
- (a.) Intermediate in excellence of any kind.
- (n.) Hence: Resources; property, revenue, or the like, considered as the condition of easy livelihood, or an instrumentality at command for effecting any purpose; disposable force or substance.
• Meandrous Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Alt. of Meandry
• Meandrian Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Winding; having many turns.