• Meeting Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An assembly for worship; as, to attend meeting on Sunday; -- in England, applied distinctively and disparagingly to the worshiping assemblies of Dissenters.
- (n.) A congregation; a collection of people; a convention; as, a large meeting; an harmonius meeting.
- (n.) A coming together; an assembling; as, the meeting of Congress.
- (n.) A junction, crossing, or union; as, the meeting of the roads or of two rivers.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Meet
• Meet Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To join, or come in contact with; esp., to come in contact with by approach from an opposite direction; to come upon or against, front to front, as distinguished from contact by following and overtaking.
- (v. t.) To perceive; to come to a knowledge of; to have personal acquaintance with; to experience; to suffer; as, the eye met a horrid sight; he met his fate.
- (v. t.) To come in collision with; to confront in conflict; to encounter hostilely; as, they met the enemy and defeated them; the ship met opposing winds and currents.
- (v. t.) To come together by mutual concessions; hence, to agree; to harmonize; to unite.
- (adv.) Meetly.
- (a.) Suitable; fit; proper; appropriate; qualified; convenient.
- (v. t.) To come together by mutual approach; esp., to come in contact, or into proximity, by approach from opposite directions; to join; to come face to face; to come in close relationship; as, we met in the street; two lines meet so as to form an angle.
- (v. t.) To come into the presence of without contact; to come close to; to intercept; to come within the perception, influence, or recognition of; as, to meet a train at a junction; to meet carriages or persons in the street; to meet friends at a party; sweet sounds met the ear.
- (v. t.) To come together with hostile purpose; to have an encounter or conflict.
- (n.) An assembling together; esp., the assembling of huntsmen for the hunt; also, the persons who so assemble, and the place of meeting.
- (v. t.) To assemble together; to congregate; as, Congress meets on the first Monday of December.
- (v. t.) To come up to; to be even with; to equal; to match; to satisfy; to ansver; as, to meet ones expectations; the supply meets the demand.
• Meetinghouse Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A house used as a place of worship; a church; -- in England, applied only to a house so used by Dissenters.