• Mess Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To supply with a mess.
- (n.) A disagreeable mixture or confusion of things; hence, a situation resulting from blundering or from misunderstanding; as, he made a mess of it.
- (n.) A number of persons who eat together, and for whom food is prepared in common; especially, persons in the military or naval service who eat at the same table; as, the wardroom mess.
- (n.) A set of four; -- from the old practice of dividing companies into sets of four at dinner.
- (n.) A quantity of food set on a table at one time; provision of food for a person or party for one meal; as, a mess of pottage; also, the food given to a beast at one time.
- (v. i.) To take meals with a mess; to belong to a mess; to eat (with others); as, I mess with the wardroom officers.
- (n.) Mass; church service.
- (n.) The milk given by a cow at one milking.
- (v. t.) To make a mess of; to disorder or muddle; to muss; to jumble; to disturb.
• Messenger Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person appointed to perform certain ministerial duties under bankrupt and insolvent laws, such as to take charge og the estate of the bankrupt or insolvent.
- (n.) One who bears a message; the bearer of a verbal or written communication, notice, or invitation, from one person to another, or to a public body; specifically, an office servant who bears messages.
- (n.) A hawser passed round the capstan, and having its two ends lashed together to form an endless rope or chain; -- formerly used for heaving in the cable.
- (n.) One who, or that which, foreshows, or foretells.
• Messinese Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to Messina, or its inhabitans.