• Metal Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The broken stone used in macadamizing roads and ballasting railroads.
- (v. t.) To cover with metal; as, to metal a ships bottom; to metal a road.
- (n.) The effective power or caliber of guns carried by a vessel of war.
- (n.) Courage; spirit; mettle. See Mettle.
- (n.) Glass in a state of fusion.
- (n.) An elementary substance, as sodium, calcium, or copper, whose oxide or hydroxide has basic rather than acid properties, as contrasted with the nonmetals, or metalloids. No sharp line can be drawn between the metals and nonmetals, and certain elements partake of both acid and basic qualities, as chromium, manganese, bismuth, etc.
- (n.) The rails of a railroad.
- (n.) A mine from which ores are taken.
- (n.) Ore from which a metal is derived; -- so called by miners.
- (n.) The substance of which anything is made; material; hence, constitutional disposition; character; temper.
• Metaled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Metal
• Metalepsis Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The continuation of a trope in one word through a succession of significations, or the union of two or more tropes of a different kind in one word.