• Methodist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of an ancient school of physicians who rejected observation and founded their practice on reasoning and theory.
- (n.) One who observes method.
- (n.) One of a sect of Christians, the outgrowth of a small association called the "Holy Club," formed at Oxford University, A.D. 1729, of which the most conspicuous members were John Wesley and his brother Charles; -- originally so called from the methodical strictness of members of the club in all religious duties.
- (n.) A person of strict piety; one who lives in the exact observance of religious duties; -- sometimes so called in contempt or ridicule.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the sect of Methodists; as, Methodist hymns; a Methodist elder.
• Methodistical Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to methodists, or to the Methodists.